Optware/Entware pack is a set of useful tools, such as FTP/SSH/UPnP/WWW server, newsgroup/torrent client and user-friendly text editor.
Optware was originally developed as a package management software for NSLU2 devices.
Entware has been created to replace Optware with it's newer toolchain and up-to-date packages. A good example is Transmission, which in Optware repository is still 2.61, while in Entware you can found the latest one (2.71). Originally project is dedicated to OpenWRT-based routers, but since it's using the same processor architecture as Realtek media players (MIPSel), we can use it anyway.
Right now you can choose between installing either one of pre-made opt.tar packages (recommended for basic users) or use beta installers (for advanced users).
Optware(old) or Entware (new) Package:
These are the best options if you don't know how to configure services like lighttpd or transmission.
The old package is a stable option, while the new one includes PHP module 5.4.x + with cURL, SSL and other enabled/configurable finctionality.
a) Installation in Automatic mode
- same procedure is used for Optware or Entware choice
- download either Optware opt.tar file or Entware opt.tar file
- copy opt.tar into the root directory of your internal hard disk (NTFS partition)
- open InfoSite (http://PlayOn!HD-IP), in top menu select Optware. If you aren't redirected to Pack page, go to System and select Update option
- select Re-install or Update Optware/Entware pack and wait until installation completes
b) Installation in Manual mode
You can update installed Optware/Entware packages by executing ipkg update command.
Alternative Beta installers
This option will ensure that you'll have always the latest packages and provides more possibilities (eg. installing Entware or Optware), but please note that after using this installer you will still have to configure Optware/Entware tools by yourself.
Installation (Optware only, the Entware source repository was changed, use second command instead) :
cd /tmp && wget http://playon.unixstorm.org/download/opt-install.sh && chmod +x opt-install.sh && sh opt-install.sh
Installation (new Entware source repository) :
cd /tmp && wget http://playon.unixstorm.org/download/ent-install.sh && chmod +x ent-install.sh && sh ent-install.sh
- In both sripts, you have a choice to install also the irfake tool that allows converting the key codes of different IR remote control than firmware was made for.
- This option and all other adjustments need advanced knowledge and patience!
Additionally you can install NZBGet.
After installation by script most of the configuration files can be found inside of /opt/etc folder. Use ipkg (for Optware) or opkg (for Entware) tool for managing packages.